Learning providers: are you GDPR ready?
The new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) will apply from 25th May 2018. As a learning provider, if you are complying with the current Data Protection Act, then you will have the foundation for a good approach to meeting compliance for the additional aspects and enhancements which will apply under GDPR. It is vital that you ensure relevant staff in your organisation are aware of the changes in law and that the organisation is fully compliant with the new requirements.
Key GDPR facts
- GDPR comes into force from 25th May 2018 – all businesses MUST be compliant by then
- GDPR has some significant differences to Data Protection Act
- Fines for non-compliance will be more severe than under DPA: up to 4% of turnover
- Data breaches will have to be reported to officials within 72 hours
- Individuals will have to “opt in” whenever data is collected – unlike now where they have to “opt out”, so privacy/data notices will have to be amended
- Data processing operations will need to demonstrate a “privacy by design” approach – previously this was recommended as best practice, with GDPR it becomes mandatory
Some benefits to being GDPR compliant
- Demonstrates to learners, parents, employers, funders, Ofsted and regulatory bodies that your organisation takes data security seriously
- Supports bidding for funds and tenders – it is extremely likely that demonstrable GDPR compliance will become a prerequisite of bidding for public funding.
- Avoid potentially severe fines
- Avoid damage to your reputation – it is likely that press will “name and shame”
Preparing for GDPR: Why book on a GMLPF Masterclass?
GMLPF are running GDPR masterclasses for learning providers on 24th October in association with the University of Salford. Here are some reasons why you should book on one of these workshops:
- High quality – delivered in association with University of Salford
- Professional trainer/expert in field – Darren Rose has been providing data handling consultancy and training for nearly a decade
- Tailored for learning providers
- Free ongoing follow-up GDPR compliance support for GMLPF members who attend the masterclass
- Good value – between 200% and 500% cheaper than many GDPR courses on the market
- Competitive advantage – the sooner you are GDPR compliant, the sooner you can promote this status to employers who will prefer to partner with compliant providers
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash