Knowsley Community College
An award-winning educational establishment, Knowsley Community College plays a leading role in raising the skills of the local and wider community through the provision of Apprenticeships, A-levels, GCSEs and other qualifications.
The result of a 1990 merger between 50-year old Kirkby College of Further Education and Knowsley Central Tertiary College, Knowsley Community College became the country’s first college to be awarded Beacon Status in 1999. Its mission, “to work in partnership to improve learning, skills, aspirations and employability” is achieved through an ethos of inclusiveness, equality and diversity where everyone is valued and supported.
The College offers learning programmes of the highest quality for 14-16 year olds, 16-18 and 19+ learners, providing excellent value-for-money services. Meanwhile, it continues to develop its capacity as a proactive partner and responsible employer to the benefit of all stakeholders.
The College has two main centres in Roby and Kirkby.
- Pre-Foundation and Foundation Learning.
- Provision in Skills for Life learning at college, in the community and in the workplace
- “On Track” programmes – designed to re-engage NEET learners; “Aspect” –short training programmes for ex offenders
- Apprenticeships, T2G and bespoke training courses provided by our Employer Response Unit
- Programmes to provide skills support for unemployed adults and those at risk of redundancy.
- Knowsley Collegiate offering a variety of courses to 14-16 year olds from local Centres for Learning eg Young Apprenticeships, Diplomas
- Our Sixth Form College offering A levels, GCSEs, a range of Certificates and Diplomas from entry level to level 3,
- Vocational programmes up to level 5.
- Access to HE and Foundation Degrees
- Community engagement via Personal Community Development Learning programmes.
Accountancy, Hairdressing and Barbering, Beauty Therapy, Construction, Childcare, Computing (ITQ), Customer Service, Engineering, Health and Social Care, Hospitality, ILM, Maintenance Operations, Medical Secretaries, Motor Vehicle, Nail Services, Payroll, Providing Financial Services and Youth Work.
New programmes for 2011-12 include: Fitted Interiors, IT Software, Web and Telecom Professionals, Legal Secretaries and Creative and Cultural (Live events, Community Arts and Music)
Strengths, achievements and expertise
- A major provider of apprenticeship training in the FE sector– with over 800 learners participating in training in 2011 to date.
- A safe and caring environment for over 4,000 learners that promotes inclusiveness, respect, positive behaviour and a strong sense of community. Underpinned by effective guidance and ongoing learner support.
- Supports local community, working closely with partner schools, community organisations and businesses to improve the lives of people living in Knowsley and the surrounding Liverpool City Region.
- A Beacon Status college with Investors in People and Matrix accreditation.
- Runs a dedicated Employer Response Unit – working with over 500 employers across Merseyside and beyond
- Winner of National Training Awards – for innovative programmes and partnership working.
- Ofsted Inspection in 2008 praised high standards of student support, teaching quality and commitment to equality of opportunity, and other aspects of service.
- Students are a real source of pride – many progress to university and employment locally, throughout the UK and abroad. Success rates across Apprenticeships and T2G are high with 7 out of 23 apprenticeship programmes achieving 100% framework success in 09/ 10.
- Over 95% pass rate for A-levels in 2010 with 20 subjects gaining 100%. Achievement rates on BTEC National courses are equally good, with many learners achieving multiple distinction grades. Similar success stories are also to be found across the whole College.
- Wider interests are valued such as sport, music, volunteering and work experience.
- The college-based community radio station ‘KCC Live’ received an FM licence in 2009 and were recently runners up for ‘Best Station in the UK with under 300 000 listeners’ at the National Sony Awards. The station offers students the chance to develop skills in radio presentation, editing and programme scheduling.
- The College football team has enjoyed great success with consecutive victories in international tournaments in the USA.
- College staff recently travelled to South East India, as part of a new initiative to raise awareness of community education in the state of Andrha Pradesh.
- KCC Media students are participating in the Knowledge Lives Everywhere Exhibition, at FACT Liverpool. Students’ work can be viewed in Gallery 1, which consists of a wooden airship and a screening of a documentary produced by the students.
[button link=”http://www.gmlpf.net/provider-focus/” color=”#800080″ window=”false” size=”small”]Back to Provider Focus[/button]
Knowsley Community College and Roby Sixth Form
Roby L36 9TD
Kirkby L32 8SF
0845 155 1055