Maritime & Engineering College North West
Maritime and Engineering College North West (MECNW), formerly known as the Laird Foundation, and now part of Mersey Maritime Group (MMG), has operated since 1998 as a centre of vocational excellence for the maritime, engineering, manufacturing and related sectors.
The college has a very successful record of delivering high quality training services for both learners and employers including apprenticeships, workforce development and other government-funded programmes. It enjoys strong partnerships with several high profile manufacturing and maritime companies as well as key public sector bodies.
MECNW boasts a stunning 6500m2 of purpose-built riverside premises next to the Cammell Laird shipyard in Birkenhead. It features state-of-the-art workshops, classrooms, IT suites, offices and conference facilities, as well as its own operational dry dock and ample parking.
Apprenticeships, Pre-Apprenticeships, Train to Gain, Skill Works, schools programmes, bespoke training, conference facilities, new training simulators for port activity; health and safety, and international trade.
Mechanical engineering, heavy and light fabrication and welding, pipe fitting, health & safety, manufacturing, business improvement techniques
Strengths, achievements and expertise
- Ofsted Inspection Grade 2 – ‘Good’
- 80% Success rates in apprenticeships
- Listed on QIA best practice database for health and safety, and for equality and diversity flash cards learning aids
- Setting industry standards for apprenticeship first year off the job training (ECITB).
- Operating a first class mentoring programme for specialising apprentices in readiness for shipyard operations (Cammell Laird)
- For employers, MECNW can offer funded support for relevant training they may require for their existing workforce through a mix of available funding options. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org further details.
[button link=”http://www.gmlpf.net/provider-focus/” color=”#800080″ window=”false” size=”small”]Back to Provider Focus[/button]
250 pre apprentices
450 Train to Gain clients
Workforce development learners
2000 employers (across whole Mersey Maritime Group)
0151 666 1028